Thursday, March 29, 2007

March Break

Teachers in North America often say that the three best reasons to be a teacher are June, July, and August. In Japan the school year is structured a bit differently, so we get our breaks at different times. My end-of-year break starts this morning, and I'm starting it off with some spring cleaning! Plans include studying Japanese, reading some short stories or shortish science fiction novels, and hanging out with people in town.

I've finally decided that Pynchon's Against the Day, his new monolith of a novel, has to go back on the shelf for a while. I think it's the kind of novel that I have to have a false start with, put away for a while, and come back to in a year or so when I have some time set aside with no distractions, like a long flight with some layovers. I just don't have the patience for a 1000-page novel these days. I'll probably go back to my original plan, which was to gradually read his work in chronological order. Gravity's Rainbow is next, in that case, but I'm going to be way too busy to pay attention to it for the next while. New Year's break, maybe.

As I've been finishing up my classes, I've been really moved by the expressions of thanks my students have been giving me. It's been really, really gratifying, especially since I've had a lot of doubts about my teaching skills this past year. I've been taken out for Chinese food, sent photos and nice notes and emails, and last night my students gave me pink roses! I'm planning to have lunch or dinner with some of my university students who have been keeping in touch. I suppose it's all part of putting down roots in a place, but I haven't had this much positive feedback from students before, and it's been great.

No comments: