Sunday, April 8, 2007

Election Day

Ah, at long last, the election has arrived! No more loudspeaker trucks! I really didn't appreciate how quiet my neighbourhood can be until the campaigning started. Right now, all I can hear is the traffic from the main street a couple blocks over, some birds, and my keyboard. It's great.

I got my schedule for my new contract tomorrow, and I'm very happy with it. Four uni classes to experiment on with my eco-speaking idea, some teenagers, lots of adult classes including some high level ones, and only one kids' class. Much less commuting, which will make an enormous difference to my current hip problems. I love the beginning of the school year, all the new faces and the week of easy "get to know each other" classes. April is always a short teaching month, with the first week off and Golden Week coming right at the end. Luckily, I only have to teach one day during the holidays, so I can spend a bit more time in Osaka than I'd originally planned.

I've just picked up a copy of H. Douglas Brown's Teaching by Principles, which is a well-regarded handbook for teaching methodology. I read his book on second language acquisition while I was working in Korea, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get my money's worth out of this book as well. And let me just add, wow, are English books in Japan expensive. Good thing I have three library cards.

No comments: