Sunday, April 15, 2007

The first week of classes has come and gone, and I'm very happy with my schedule. My students are really nice, I've got far less commuting to do, and I don't have to get up at 5:30 in the morning on Wednesdays anymore! Golden Week is fast approaching, and I've already got plans to head over to Osaka for a falafel party at Dave and Miyako's.

I had my Japanese class last night, and my skills seem to be progressing. We had a sort of listening test, and although I'm a bit fuzzy when it comes to long strings of numbers, I did better than I thought I would. I checked a couple of books out of the Peace Park library to work through, and I've been working on writing kanji, which is turning out to be a real struggle for me. In a couple months, however, I should be able to pass the practice test for the lowest level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. I don't have to decide which level I'll write until registration in September, which will allow me to write at the level I'm more comfortable with. I'd rather be writing an exam that's too easy for me than have the crushing rejection of failing.

The most interesting news from this past week is that I'll definitely be taking on the editing job that's opened up at work. I'm very happy about this, as it's a bit more responsibility and a great opportunity. I've wanted to do some kind of work in publishing for years, and this will be a great way to get my feet wet.

The research project I had planned will have to be delayed, as I didn't understand a couple of the rules about book ordering and the university ordered books for my students. This should work out, though, as I'm still learning a lot about teaching and could use the structure of the book's lessons to plan around. The interesting question for me will be how to balance target-based and content-based teaching. I want the students to talk about the ideas in the book, but I also need them to focus on particular mistakes or bad habits that are interfering with their fluency. And there are about 30 students in each class, which will make assessment an interesting challenge. I'm going to be assigning homework this time around, which is something I felt could have helped a lot last year. The book on pedagogy I mentioned last week is turning out to be really useful, with lots of practical in-class examples and not too much theory.

I've been enjoying the more moderate weather as well. I don't need to use the heater at night, and during the day I've been opening the windows and balcony doors to move some fresh air through. I've also gained a new appreciation for how quiet my neighbourhood is now that the election is past. In class I've been mentioning that this is my favourite time of year: new students, new classes, comfortable weather. Back in Canada my favourite time of year was always September, but in Japan we start the school year in April. Makes you want to go sit outside and watch people come and go, which is exactly what I'll be doing after lunch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.